Moodle is an open source learning management systems, used in almost 87,000 sites worldwide, including trade schools, colleges, K-12 schools, and universities. More than 1.3 million teachers and over 78 million students are participating in some 7.8 million courses using Moodle application. Right now, Moodle comes with its latest version, i.e. Moodle 2.6 that includes remarkable features, changes, enhancements, fixes and improved usability, which is best for Moodle Development process.
Let’s move towards details of the latest release.
For all users
- Better responsive design: It works and looks excellent across all devices, including desktops, tablets and phones.
- Enhanced calendar handling with multiple calendar support: The same date in multiple calendar system, including Hebrew, Islamic, Gregorian, and more are supported and displayed. It allows you to choose favored calendar system.
- User-friendly TinyMCE editor: The latest TinyMCE editor can be changed according to various browser widths, and features user-friendly icons and a collapsible toolbar menu.
- Ability to Access files from Microsoft Skydrive: Now, users have ability to select retrieve files from their Skydrive account in order to use in their Moodle courses.
- Enhance file management in TinyMCE editor: With the new TinyMCE Manage Embedded files plugin and Embedded files repository, you can simply add and manage files previously embedded in a text area.
- Simplified username and password recovery: Comes with more user-friendly process, it has ability to retrieve username or reset password easily.
- Improved marking workflow and allocation: It has ability to control when marks are released for viewing, i.e. when reviewed and moderated. Teachers will find Individual markers for allotting assignments and such allocations will displayed clearly in the gradebook.
- Single activity course format Added: Teachers can simply chosen and add any of the activity as a standard course format that showed directed on the course page.
- Improved feedback in Certainty-based marking: Better feedbacks are gained to learners with Quizzes using Certainty-based marking
- Easily edit course activities and resources: Teachers will also find simple dropdown menu for easy accessibility in their mobile and desktop devices.
- Annotate uploaded PDF files in browser: Now, it provides feedback directly within PDF file submissions using annotating tools like stamps and phrases from a comment bank. It requires ghostscript on server.
For administrators and managers
- Streamlined course and category management: With this feature, you can simply sort, create, and delete course categories in intuitive interface through drag and drop functionality.
- Import and export role definitions: Now, you can easily export and import role definitions as XML files. The latest roles based on existing data like role definition XML file, role archetype and existing role.
- Bulk course creation tool: Use a single CSV file for creating multiple courses efficiently. Even, one can simply update and delete courses and can import content from another course.
- Backup and restore large courses: Now, it becomes easy for users to Backup and restore large courses safely and if wanted, easily restores the courses for use.
- Create additional name fields: One of the most excellent features of this update is creating additional name fields that allow you to display user names in Chinese characters, local phonetic system or Romanization.
These are some unbelievable features, changes, enhancements, fixes and improved usability of the latest release of Moodle Development version 2.6. If you are change your software with these features, then adopt Moodle Customization service from reputable company. For more information, visit official website.